3 cups fine semolina
2 cups plain flour
1 cup melted butter
½ cup vegetable oil½ cup icing sugar (dough)
½ cup icing sugar (dusting)
½ cup milk or less
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp baking powder250g pitted dates
1. Melt the butter, leave it to cool down. Mix the semolina, flour, oil butter, sugar, salt, baking powder until all ingredients are well blended.
2. Add milk and knead gently. You should get a soft and crumbly consistency. Leave to rest for ½ hour.
3. Meanwhile try to make the pitted date into a soft paste. You could use the microwave to warm it (2mn). Then knead it into a soft bowl. You could also use a mini chopper to reach the same result. Add 1 tbsp of cinnamon for a nice flavour.
4. Stuff walnut size dough balls with smaller dates’ balls. I used a special Maamool mould to give it a nice design. You can also flatten the
Stuffed balls and use a fork or a knife to give a nice design.
5. Bake in a preheated oven 180°C for 10 to 20mn until lightly golden.