Tuesday 8 February 2011

Jammy bars الهوا و الريح



This is one of my childhood favourite biscuits, and I think that I am keeping the traditions alive because my boys are very fond of eating it and also making it with me. It is quite an easy biscuit to prepare with children: my boys find grating the dough quite fun. I have known this biscuit under the name ‘lhwa wa reeh’ meaning ‘the air and the wind’ in Arabic. It is probably a reference to it’s easiness, easy like air…
My friend from Algiers calls it ‘Qataa warmi’ meaning ‘cut and throw’ because she doesn’t grate the dough but covers the top with tiny pieces of dough, a bit like a cobbler. She also calls her version ‘louz bla louz’ meaning ‘almonds without almonds’ referring to the rich taste that will make you think there is some almond’s powder in the dough which obviously is not the case.

Last story about it (I promise) is that it is a popular children’s treat in Bosnia known as Lazy pie (no need to explain this one…)

So, if you want to have some fun baking as a beginner or baking with children, this one is for you!!!

Ingredients:

250g butter or margarine
200g icing sugar
500 g plain four
2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
Pinch of salt
Jar of your favourite Jam (450g)

Steps:


 
1.      In a big mixing bowl, put the four, baking powder and sugar. On top of that grate the butter (use a cheese grater) or cut it into small pieces
2.      Rub the butter into the four and sugar until you have no lumps and the mixture looks like bread crumbs.
3.      Add the 2 beaten eggs. Mix with the rest of the ingredients to get a firm and soft dough. Divide into 2 halves and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
4.      Spread the first half on a rectangular deep baking tray (I take small pieces of dough and stick them beside each other)
5.      Empty the jar of jam on top of the dough and spread evenly. Be careful that no jam touches the edges of the baking tray as it will burn during the cooking.
6.      Evenly grate the 2nd half of the dough on the top of the jam layer
7.      Bake in a preheated oven (200°C) for about 30 minutes or until cooked and surface is golden.
8.      leave to cool down and cut into squares, triangles or rectangles








1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe. My grandmother (we are Russian Jews) makes the exact same cake. I made it yesterday, following your recipe and it came out wonderful, though thinner since my tray was larger. At the moment, I'm baking your almond macaroons. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete